Monday 6 May 2019

Day 6 - Read it out loud

I forgot to say hello
You know, I became citified
Of late though I have realised
That to say hello is to be alive

Even now I walk the street
and in not quite a boom.
I do softly say it; hello or g'day
Oh and how it makes me feel

There's not enough of it you know
Hello, that is in our every day
We live in a city where everyone is alone
Imagine, if we all simply said hello
or tipped our hat, or nodded our head to let them know

To let them know
that yes we saw them
for the human they are, a person in our space
a person with no need to despair

Wanting share their life and views of things
to feel seen as a human being
Not a person ignored or otherwise
not someone alone to be scorned

Maybe, maybe this simple word could change the world
It could cause a chink in our loneliness
to compel a sense of inclusiveness
Maybe that one word could break down barriers

to help us connect
to cause a community
to break down our isolation
and destroy alienation

So do say hello
Say it first
Say it in response
Say it to save the day

Hello

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I'm taking it to heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely poem, and so true. When I first left my small Scottish town and moved to London I was astonished by how little people spoke - or even looked - at each other! We should all start saying "hullo" more often, I reckon.

    ReplyDelete